5 Ways to Boost Your Confidence
Would You Buy Stock in Yourself?
That’s the question HBR author Jodi Glickman wants you to ask. Your answer will provide an excellent opportunity for self-reflection.
It doesn’t matter if you’re the head of a massive corporate entity or just starting your first venture – evaluating your honest answer is key. “Do you believe in your own potential so deeply and absolutely that you’d make that investment over any other?” asks Glickman.
If you answered “yes”, congrats…you’re rockin’ it! You not only know your worth, but as Glickman explains, you believe anyone who “employs, engages, partners with you is lucky to have you on their side.”
If you hesitate or even answer “no”, it’s time to do some evaluating. You must ask the all-important question, “Why not?” Why don’t you believe in your worth? What makes someone else a (perceived) better investment? If you feel like your worth is devalued, what are you lacking – a skill, a stronger network, a particular mindset?
What it Means to Believe in Yourself
In a recent podcast, I interviewed Dr. Pei Kang, the business executive and co-host of the “ReLaunch” show. Dr. Pei is also a gifted endodontist (root canal specialist) and yoga instructor. She refers to herself as a part-time dentist living a full life.
When she came to the US from China in her 20’s, Dr. Pei explained how she didn’t believe in herself as a leader, even thought she had previously held many leadership positions. The culture change made her shy – and even had her questioning her own identity.
Dr. Pei’s wakeup call came after she sold a successful business, when she started to hear about how many other local businesses were struggling. At that point, she realized she possessed qualities that had made a positive difference. “I finally had to surrender to what is true for me and what is not. I also had to learn the difference between what I am good at and what puts bounce in my steps.”
In a Businessweek article, author Marshall Goldsmith recalls the time a student asked him why he didn’t talk about self-confidence issues in his book What Got You Here Won’t Get You There. His answer is pretty powerful: “I rarely encounter self-confidence problems in my work with CEOs and potential CEOs. It is almost impossible to make it to the top level in a multi billion-dollar corporation if you do not believe in yourself.”
Send Your Confidence Soaring
- Stop the second-guessing. Say what you mean – and mean what you say. No one is perfect, and at times, we all fall short. The goal is to stay committed to your vision, communicate your convictions clearly, and believe in what you’re doing.
- Fake it ‘til you make it. Yes, you’ve probably heard this one – but it can be a very effective tool to help you grow. If you think this won’t work for you, or you’re sure others might see through the facade, give it a try anyway. Over time, you might be surprised at the person you develop into.
- Align with the right people. I can’t say enough how important it is to surround yourself with people who will not only support and motivate you – but who will also hold you accountable. This is one of the best ways to enjoy success in life!
- Don’t fear failure. Failure is absolutely necessary – and there’s no reason to avoid it. Think of failure as your stepping stone to stronger growth and bigger opportunities. Change how you perceive “failure” and you’ll change your life experience.
- Own – and hone – your gifts. If you’re not too convinced of your worth, start by evaluating your unique set of talents, abilities, and skills. Own them – but don’t stop there. Build your confidence by honing your skills – learning should never stop, no matter where you are on your journey.
It’s important to recognize that confidence is the feeling you get after you take some action. I’ll say that again. Confidence is what comes after you’ve taken action. Click to Tweet!
You don’t build confidence by learning more about confidence. So, get out there and get into action!
Leadership Operating System Quiz: Wondering what kind of Leadership traits you have? Take this FREE, FAST quiz and find out more about yourself as a Leader.
Accomplished: How to Go from Dreaming to Doing: A simple, step by step system that gives you the foundation and structure to take your goals and make them happen.